The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® (ATMAT) are founded on the ancient Mayan technique of abdominal massage which is an external non-invasive manipulation that repositions internal organs that have shifted. The technique works by relieving congestion and blockages to improve the flow of energy and fluids of the circulatory, lymphatic and nervous systems to prevent the progression of chronic disease symptoms.
Based on over thirty years of training and experience in massage, naprapathy, herbology, and spiritual healing, Dr. Rosita Arvigo developed these techniques which now bear her name. This modality incorporates a holistic approach to health care which includes massage, anatomy and physiology, herbology, nutrition, and emotional and spiritual healing. Dr. Arvigo believes that with any natural healing technique, these areas must be simultaneously addressed to promote optimal health.
Dr. Arvigo learned these techniques from her mentor, Don Elijio Panti, the great Maya Shaman of Belize, Central America with whom she apprenticed for ten years. Don Elijio believed that a woman's center is her uterus. "If a woman's uterus is out of balance, so is she," he would say. Midwives and healers of Central America agree that most female troubles are caused by the wandering womb. Don Elijio passed away in 1996 at the age of 103. Rosita also studied with Hortence Robinson, a traditional midwife and herbalist of Belize who began delivering babies when she was only 13.
The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® address position and health of the pelvic and abdominal organs. The work is best known for the correction of the prolapsed, fallen, or tilted uterus and for the prevention and treatment of benign prostate enlargement in men, and for relief of many common digestive disorders.
Benefits for Women
Normally the uterus leans slightly over the bladder in the center of the pelvis. It is held in this position by muscles and ligaments. The ligaments and muscles can weaken and loosen, causing the uterus to fall downward, forward, backward or to either side.
When reproductive organs shift, they can constrict normal flow of blood and lymph, and disrupt nerve connections. By shifting the uterus back into place the natural balance of the body is restored in the pelvic area and the surrounding organs. Toxins are flushed and nutrients that help to tone tissue and balance hormones are restored to normal order. This is essential for healthy pregnancy, labor, and delivery.
Old adhesions from invasive treatments to the pelvic and abdominal area, including fibroid tumors, endometriosis, and cesarean delivery are diminished when addressed by ATMAT.
Benefits for Men
Men benefit greatly from the Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® as well. By ensuring a full blood supply to the prostate, the abdominal massage helps to prevent swelling and inflammation. Not only does the massage relieve prostate swelling, but it helps alleviate varicose veins, premature ejaculation, some impotency problems and the need to urinate frequently.
Individuals with digestive disorders such as constipation, indigestion, heartburn, gastritis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Gasto Esophageal Reflux (GERD), Crohn's Disease and more benefit greatly by using ATMAT. Scar tissue and adhesions can often cause problems with digestion after abdominal surgery. The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® helps to break down the scar tissue and adhesions from past or present surgeries. ATMAT is contraindicated immediately following abdominal surgery, allow 4-6 weeks or at the consent of your physician.
The most common symptoms that are improved by incorporating ATMAT:
• Displaced or prolapsed uterus and or bladder
• Enhances pregnancy, aids in labor and delivery
Symptoms of a Displaced Uterus
• Painful periods and ovulation
• Irregular menstrual cycles and ovulation
• Abnormal uterine bleeding
• Dark or brown blood at the onset and at the end of menstruation
• Headache or migraine with period
• Varicose veins, tired, weak, numb legs
• Low backache; back pain with period
• Uterine Fibroids
• Uterine Polyps
• Ovarian cysts
• PMS/ depression
• Frequent urination
• Bladder infections, Yeast Infections
• Recurrent vaginal infections
• Chronic miscarriages
• Difficulty getting pregnant
• Difficult pregnancies
• Painful intercourse
• Chronic constipation
• Difficult menopause
• Early stages of prostate swelling
• Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)
• Prostatitis (mild)
• Impotence, Erectile Dysfunction (depending on cause)
• Digestive Disorders
• Chronic indigestion or heartburn
• Gastro Esophogeal Reflux (GERD)
• Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
• Crohn's Disease
• Chronic constipation
• Low Back ache
• Low energy
• Restricted breathing due to tension
What could cause a displaced uterus?
• Injury to the sacrum or tailbone from a fall, car accidents, etc
• Pelvic ligaments that have weakened during pregnancy and birth
• High impact exercise, running on cement surfaces, high impact aerobics, etc
• Lifting & carrying heavy objects too soon after childbirth
• Time and gravity
• Past surgeries
• Weak pelvic floor muscles
• Chronic muscle spasm around the low back and sacrum
• Emotional armoring from abuse at anytime in life
It has been estimated that approximately 30 % of women who have been unsuccessful in conceiving eventually conceive after a succession of ATMAT treatments.
When including the partner in the process, we find fertility is increased! After all, men need this work as much as women do.
Women who have had hysterectomies benefit greatly from Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® as well. The technique improves circulation in and around the area of the scar and allows for proper flow of the lymph, which often becomes blocked after surgery, resulting in swelling, burning and deep aching pains in the pelvis. By using ATMAT techniques on a regular basis, scar tissue will be prevented from forming in the pelvis after surgery.
Untold numbers of Caesarean births could be prevented with this massage technique. By strengthening and toning the uterus, ligaments and other pelvic organs, the massage helps to place and maintain the uterus in her optimal position for giving birth.
For women who have had a C-section, this technique is beneficial for breaking up scar tissue in the same way it works for women who have had hysterectomies.
Almost every woman can benefit greatly from ATMAT through improved circulation, lymphatic drainage and a decrease in the formation of scar tissue.
The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® is not performed:
• During menstrual bleeding
• Within the first 6 weeks following a normal vaginal delivery or the first 3 months after a c-section
• For a woman using an IUD for birth control
• If cancer is present or suspected anywhere in the pelvis, or the client is undergoing chemotherapy for this condition
• During the first trimester of pregnancy
• Immediately after abdominal surgery (4-6 weeks after surgery)
• Hiatal Hernia - gentle touch only
The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® is offered as a supportive modality to enhance health and wellness, it is not meant as an entire approach to health care. If you have any serious medical conditions, please consult your health care provider first.